* “Big Game James” is one of the dumbest, least appropriate nicknames in baseball and it makes me irrationally dislike James Shields. (There are plenty of legitimate reasons for a Red Sox fan to not like James Shields but I feel like my dislike crosses into irrational territory because of his dumbass nickname.) Â And while I have to grudgingly admit that having 9 complete games is impressive, and Shields doesn’t exactly stink, watching one of those complete games be a loss to Boston yesterday gave me much pleasure.
* One of the only benefits to my still being unemployed is getting to watch weekday, afternoon baseball. Â Baseball should be played in the afternoon. Â Then again, baseball should be played when people can watch it. Â So, once I get a job, I’ll be conflicted. Â Not so much right now. Â Getting baseball in the afternoon yesterday AND today is like having Christmas two days in a row. Â (Especially given I missed most of last night’s game.)
* On Monday, the St. Louis Cardinals suspended their number 1 prospect, Shelby Miller, indefinitely, for violating team policy. Â Word is that it was most likely due to alcohol-related matters. Â Now I’m all for reprimanding players for legitimate violations but I find it both interesting and hypocritical that these guys get reprimanded for alcohol-related instances (even though they aren’t publicly telling folks that) and then when they get to the bigs they can get arrested for DUIs whenever they want with nary a slap on the wrist.
* It’s bad blogging etiquette to publish consecutive posts without the courtesy of a few hours in between. Â You’re supposed to space them out so folks come back at different times and pump up your traffic. Â I’ve been slacking lately and instead of leaving gaps in days on the blog, I thought I’d fill them all in. Â I know you folks don’t mind!
* I miss Kyle Snyder.
* Speaking of missing, I’ll be missing the Futures at Fenway games this weekend. Â I think this will be the first time I don’t go to Fenway for them since they began and I’m a bit bummed about it. Â Fortunately, Kelly O’Connor will be there and we’ll get a lot of fabulous photos of the young’uns!